Tuesday, May 7, 2013

She turned her can'ts into cans & her dreams into plans...



Hi Y’all! I am shipping off to Thailand in 5 days, it still hasn’t hit me yet! This week is quite hectic for me- I am frantically trying to pack up my apartment for my move to Charleston, SC, doing all the last minute things for my masters degree (since sadly, I am missing graduation) and trying to say goodbye to all of my wonderful friends I’ve made along the way, old and new.

Some of you might remember my blog from my time in Australia a few years ago, which proved to be very useful in communicating with everyone (since phone calls are extremely expensive- ask my dad). I am only going to be in Thailand for about a week, but I will try my best to post each day, with pictures, so you all can follow along.

Here are some of the details of my trip:

I fly out of Columbia, SC at 6 am on Saturday morning (thanks to my wonderful boyfriend who will be dropping me off super early) where I connect in Washington DC. I will be flying with a friend of mine, Anthony, who is also a math major and in my masters program. Since only 4 people were chosen to go on this trip we have found ourselves to be very lucky coming from the same program. Once in DC, we have a little bit of a layover before we make the 14 hour flight to Tokyo, Japan. In Japan we are meeting up with another student who is from New Jersey. Once we are all together, we fly 6 hours to Bangkok, Thailand. We are staying at the Pathumwan Princess Hotel - it’s worth looking up. www.pprincess.com

While there, we will be attending a professional development session where we will ”focus on inquiry-based learning enhanced by computational science and will introduce attendees to incorporating modeling at all levels from desktop to mobile devices.” What this means is that I will be learning how to use different forms of technology in my classroom to enhance learning. I can’t explain how thrilled I am to have been given this amazing opportunity for both myself and my future students. The school where I just accepted my first job, R.B. Stall High School in North Charleston has given all of their students Ipads, so I am trying to learn all that I can on how to best use them to benefit the students learning.

The conference takes place over 2 days and then the rest of the time we are free to explore beautiful Thailand! I hope you all enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Chloe, So proud of you! Enjoy every moment of this fabulous opportunity!!! Take lots of photos! XOXO Mommy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chloe:

    So nice of you to take us all along on your adventure! Can't wait to see the photos, starting with that fabulous hotel!

    Safe travels and we'll "see you" when you get there! ;)

    xo, Sandie

    ReplyDelete