Thursday, May 16, 2013

Really exploring Bangkok !!

After our conference yesterday, we came home, showered and then headed to dinner at a local Chinese restaurant- very fancy. We had our own private room and big round table to fit us all. We did a family style dinner with many different dishes on the lazy susan- delicious. After dinner 2 of my friends and I decided to hit the town. We ended up a local Hard Rock Cafe bar because everything else was closed. We were a little disappointed because we wanted to experience the local bars, but this turned out to be just that! They had a great band playing and we really enjoyed ourselves.

Today was my favorite day so far- besides for the elephant ride. We woke up early this morning and went to breakfast- my body is slowly getting used to Thai time, I am now sleeping through the night, but waking up around 6ish- just in time for me to return to the states. After breakfast, myself and the 3 others in the program, along with one of the program directors, decided we would get an early start on shopping. We went to this mall called Terminal 21- it was SO COOL! The decorations in this mall were unlike any I have ever seen elsewhere. It was so trendy and fun. I will post pictures in my next blog- or they are also on my facebook. The shopping there was also AMAZING!  They set the mall up so that it is just a bunch of little boutiques that are uniquely designed based on the type of clothing they sell. They had ones that were decorated all with paper and some with metal- just all over really funky. We had a fun time shopping there- not to mention the great deals. In Thai shopping malls you can bargain with the prices, (which my mom has taught me well) so I was buying presents left and right while only spending $100 at the end of the day. (Also the US dollar is worth about 30 Thai Baht, so that helps).

After shopping, we had lunch at a great Japanese restaurant with a phenomenal view of the city (photo on next blog). What I love most about Bangkok is the brightness of colors on everything from taxis to buildings. It is really pretty to see because so much catches your eye. This lunch I was feeling really American, so I split a pizza with my friend Kristen. SO YUMMY! After lunch we decided to head to Sukhumvit- which is an area of Bangkok known for its bar scene and a place where older men like to go to meet Thai women. We took the sky train (like a subway, but above the streets) and found ourselves a nice bar that had a view of the streets and all of the Sukhumvit hustle and bustle. Street vendors would come up to us and try to sell us things while we were having a drink, people were in and out of the bars and streets just having a good time. When we were finished we took the sky train back to our hotel to go to the pool to catch some sun! The girls and I got distracted by the market on the way in and spent some more time shopping and buying presents! We finally made it to the pool and got to relax some before dinner.

For dinner we decided to go to the food court again, since there was so much to choose from and our feet were hurting us from walking so much, and this was the closest place. I decided to have sushi since I skipped out on it at lunch- again, delicious! After dinner we headed back to the room and here I am now! It is an early night for us because we have to be on the bus by 7 am tomorrow in order to make it in time to catch the floating market! I will write soon!

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment